Calculating CHEK.R.POINTS for ordering
1. Calculate the number of square feet of diamond checker plate that you wish to cover.
For example, 6 feet by 5 feet of diamond checker plate is 30 square feet.
2. Multiply the number of square feet by 2.2.
There are 60 CHEK.R.POINTS per sheet and it takes 2.2 sheets to cover one square foot of diamond checker plate. Therefore, 30 square feet of diamond checker plate requires 66 sheets of CHEK.R.POINTS 3. Since two colors are required, you must order half of the total in red and half in either yellow or fluorescent lime-yellow.
To cover the 30 square feet of diamond checker plate, you should order 33 sheets of red and 33 sheets of one of the two yellows.
NOTE: The installation of CHEK.R.POINTS can be done without “qualified” installers. Just remove each CHEK.R.POINT from the backer and stick it on the flat section on diamond checker plate. (see "APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS" below).
Although the CHEK.R.POINTS are more expensive than full roll sheeting, it is imperative to remember that no roll sheeting adheres properly to diamond checker plate if applied over the raised sections. Also, the labor cost of doing your own installation as opposed to hiring a professional installer compensates for the extra cost. The production of CHEK.R.POINTS is a complex procedure, whereas the installation is simple.
CHEK.R.POINTS are round, as opposed to "square" or “diamond” shapes. This not only reduces "hooking" of fragile corners but facilitates positioning on the diamond checker plate. There are no flat edges to line up ... just center the round “dot”. CHEK.R.POINTS have been designed to be installed individually, instead of in strips, because of irregularities in the types and spacing of diamond checker plate. Although it takes slightly longer to install individually, the installation is perfect and trouble-free. Anyone can install about 5 square feet per hour.
Before ordering and installing CHEK.R.POINTS, you should verify the color on any existing apparatus to maintain a uniform appearance.
1. Make sure the diamond checker plate surface area is PERFECTLY CLEAN. Wash using a stiff brush and degreaser soap. Use any common aluminum cleaner IF the surface has corrosion or stubborn residue, use any common aluminum cleaner. Power wash or spray well with CLEAN water to remove every trace of product. Just prior to installation, use a hand sprayer with a mixture of 1/3 Isopropyl Alcohol and 2/3 water to do a final rinse. Do not let this product evaporate. WIPE DRY.
2. Using a dry or washable marker, determine the exact center of the rear of the vehicle and mark a vertical center line on the diamond checker plate. From this center, you can follow the “natural” configuration of the diamond checker plate (45 degree angle) and this will be your "starter row" for installing the CHEK.R.POINTS in either of the two colors. Start at the top center on the diamond checker plate and install your first CHEK.R.POINT to start the point of the chevron in the color of your choice. Installing row by row will automatically produce the chevron pattern. The CHEK.R.POINT must be installed in rows 6 wide, producing a compliant chevron 6 inches wide. Once the first row is complete, you can either finish the 5 remaining lower rows of the same colour to complete your first chevron, or start the next colour of chevron above this first row and complete the top section first. Repeat this procedure on the other side.
3. Simply peel and stick each CHEK.R.POINT using the correct color. Remove each one using the point of an Exacto blade or your finger nail. Avoid touching the adhesive side with your fingers. Should you find that the “backer” under the CHEK.R.POINT sticks to it and lifts, simply rotate the sheet in the opposite direction. (This is not a defect) If possible, remember to apply the CHEK.R.POINT in the same direction as it was placed on the backer. Rotating the direction may vary its reflective appearance very negligibly so it is recommended to keep the “diamond lines” in approximately the same direction. Apply the CHEK.R.POINT onto the exact center of the flat section of the diamond checker plate and FIRMLY press each one into place with your finger or a soft cloth making sure that the adhesion of the entire surface is complete. If you need to remove one, it is recommended to replace by a new one to insure proper adhesion.
4. No part of any CHEK.R.POINT should ride up on any raised section of metal. It is not recommended to bend a CHEK.R.POINT over or around any obstacle or edge. For a perfect appearance, it is recommended to cut some CHEK.R.POINTS in half before removing them from the backer (“half-moon” effect) and install at edges or around obstacles that cannot receive a full “dot”. Any “cut” CHEK.R.POINT should be cut at least 1/8 of an inch before ANY EDGE to prevent “hooking”.
5. If your apparatus has a combination of smooth metal with full roll 6 inch chevrons AND diamond checker plate (as in the case of a roll-up door), you should draw your choice of configuration on the smooth metal FIRST and then use this configuration as the layout template to line up the diamond checker plate chevrons. However, it is best to install the CHEK.R.POINTS FIRST and then make the final adjustment with the 6 inch material for perfect alignment with the diamond checker plate pattern. You can adjust the full roll sheeting up or down by a ½ inch if required, but you cannot adjust the position of the diamond checker plate pattern once it is started.
Any “added” sections of checkerplate can be covered in “all white” CHEK.R.POINTS to avoid breaking up the red/yellow chevron pattern.
See section HOW TO MAXIMIZE SAFETY IN SPECIAL APPLICATIONS WITH PRISMATIC SHEETING? for other suggestions.